How you should approach a penalty or seizure case depends on the specific facts of that case and the laws the government cites to form the basis of the violation.
Feel free to reference the following guides related to how to approach specific penalties, or seizures, based on the statute CBP cites for its authority.
- 19 USC 1497 Passenger Failure to Declare Penalties
- 31 USC 5316, 5317, 5324 – Currency or Monetary Instrument Report (CMIR)
- 31 USC § 5332 – Bulk Cash Smuggling
- 19 USC 1526 and other Trademark, Copyright and Patent violations
- 19 USC 1592 – Commercial Fraud
You can also read our guide on Trade and Customs laws enforced by CBP.